BS Biology is a four-year program that seeks to develop students in the field of Biological Sciences to become competent, holistic and skilled professionals who can serve as researchers, educators, environmentalists and technologists. Furthermore, it provides a strong and adequate foundation for future endeavors in medical and graduate studies.
Specifically, the program aims to:
- provide comprehensive knowledge and critical awareness of the concepts, models, principles of various fields of Biology;
- translate knowledge in Biological principles and concepts in real life situations;
- have a strong foundation in knowledge, values and skills for future endeavors in medical and graduate studies;
- hone skills in the field of research, leadership, entrepreneurship and quality management and assurance;
- develop reportorial and communication skills specifically in the field of Biological Sciences;
- fortify skills in team working, information handling, use of information technology and skills for life-long learning;
- prepare students for increasingly complex life and work environment through development of creativity and innovation, critical thinking, problem solving, communication and collaboration skills;
- equip students with life and career skills; and
- cultivate a caring attitude towards conservation and sustainability of the environment through relevant projects.
At the end of the four-year program the graduate has the ability to:
- apply the principles and concepts in biology and relate them to real life situations;
- apply the knowledge of biology in the conservation of natural resources;
- perform basic biological and chemical techniques in either laboratory or field work research settings;
- prepare technical reports and ability to effectively communicate orally and writing using the appropriate language in presenting research;
- apply critical thinking skills in solving problems and appreciate the limitations and implication of science in everyday life;
- demonstrate an objective viewpoint for discerning information and analyzing biases of other people;
- make precise observation and able to distinguish small differences between samples and events;
- manifest a strong sense of ethical behavior as a person and as a professional;
- work effectively in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- attain knowledge of contemporary issues; and
- demonstrate a caring attitude by joining advocacy campaigns for the environment.